Bill Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Don't forget that within the past year or so Yahoo suddenly changed their
>policy to an "Opt Out" basis... but delayed in notifying users. (Seems
>like I heard about it here... or maybe in the MacEvangelist list.) Unless
>the individual went into their Yahoo account a =specifically= opted out
>of having their email address "shared" it =would= be.

I remember this happening, but I think what happened was:

1) Yahoo added a "marketing preferences" link to everyone's account 
settings page, but didn't warn anyone about the change.  (Accidental 
rollout of beta software?  Bad marketing decision?)

2) The new link was accidentally discovered by some Yahoo 
members.  (And only by US members as I recall, since some Yahoo UK 
members reported that they couldn't find the new link on their settings 
page.)  Although no one had received any Yahoo-approved spam yet, 
warnings started to spread to disable all your marketing preferences 
since Yahoo had them enabled by default.

3) Yahoo eventually notified members of the new link, but pointed out 
that they had a grace period (I forget how many days) to update their 
marketing preferences before they started receiving spam.  (Although 
you can't really call it spam, since Yahoo is free to add any 
conditions to their free services as they see fit.)

>FWIW within the past month I've suddenly increased in spam, both on my
>home BellSouth account and on my CompuServe account -- which I seldom if
>ever use for outgoing mail or give out -- and most have a Yahoo address
>somewhere in the long headers. I suspect they've decided to ignore the
>"opt out" signups.

A Yahoo address in the long headers doesn't necessarily prove Yahoo's 
involvement, since headers are easily forged.  If you like, you could 
post some of these headers to the list and we could determine if Yahoo 
had a hand in them.

___________________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe send a mail message with a SUBJECT line of "unsubscribe" to
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  or  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Reply via email to