My 2 cents...

I'm new to emc.  I chose emc for my lathe after using mach for my mill,
mainly for the threading support, but also because it was open source.

I was very impressed with the internal architecture of emc, and how easy it
was to build and a configure a system with components, pins and links (I'm a
programmer).  I was expecting the UI to be same, being able to build the UI
by add the visual components that I needed.  Unfortunately, the emc UI isn't
there yet.

I'd love to see a mach like interface, where a complete UI can be built by
dragging and dropping components, and linking them with script.  Is this a
lot of work?  Probably, but once the framework is designed and implemented,
anyone can add components.

I also like the idea of using an emrsh like layer in the UI - I use X over
the network, so I can code inside the house, not in my cold workshop, but
the updates, especially the 3D, are terribly slow.

At the moment I'm working on a visual pendant configuring application
(configure any USB HID device to be a pendant in emc) so I can use my home
made pendant, and also to learn Qt.  After that I was looking at a visual
Hal configuring application, so I can test out more of Qt's features.   I'm
definitely interested in contributing if you need help.

Frank