On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:57:34 -0600
> From: Sebastian Kuzminsky <s...@highlab.com>
> To: EMC developers <emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-developers] hostmot2 stepping folowing error oddity
>
> Peter C. Wallace wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Chris Morley wrote:
>>> I'm having a little problem with a hostmot2 stepper setup.
>>> I get following errors that I can't track down a reason for.
>>
>> Is it possible you simple dont have enough hardware headroom to reach you max
>> velocity? With 200 usec StepLen and 200 uSec StepSpace, the maximum step rate
>> the hardware can generate is = ~2500 Hz, I just glanced at the ini file but
>> doesn't a Scale of 2800 mean 2800 steps per inch? If so the maximum velocity
>> should be about 10% less than 2500/2800 (10% for headroom). about .8 inches
>> per second.
>
> I agree it's a "max physical step rate" vs "trajectory-planner max
> commanded velocity" problem, but i think there is no headroom problem.

Well semantics... to me its a _hardware_ headroom problem, the hardware
stepgenerator is being asked to step faster than its capable of stepping.

Chris: can you try setting max_velocity to .8 so theres no chance the
trajectory planner can outrun the stepgenerator? I think all bets are off
without this.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)