I just tried the fix on my lathe, and it looks worse.  I always got the
klunk the first time I homed, but it would be OK if I did subsequent homes.

I use a home switch and an index pulse.  It moves to the home switch, then
reverses slowly to find the index pulse.  It sets the X value to be the
current radius (80.54mm), then moves to 70.  Scope picture here
http://filebin.ca/hugkmx.  It klunks after it finds the index pulse.

My config...

# X axis
[AXIS_0]