Well, after much fooling around, I finally found the magic recipe to
make the encoder send a report.  It turns out the bit rate is 1
Mbit/second, not 100 K bits/sec.  So, the entire report can be sent in
about 80 us.  That sounds a lot better.

It seems there is an absolute position group that contains a count of
revs as well as the angular position count, and then a repeat of just
the angular part without the rev count, that would be useful for
commutation.  At the end, there is likely a cyclical redundancy check.
One thing that comes to mind is how to handle encoder index.  If the
angular data resets when it reaches the index pulse, then that is taken
care of.  If it does, though, that means there is no angular info until
the encoder has passed its index position, and thus commutation is not
reliable until that point.

I'm trying to get away from having to supply battery power to the
encoder as Fanuc did, but it might be necessary, but kind of messy.

Jon