Well, I have the first cut at the Fanuc absolute encoder test unit
working.  I pretty much verified what I got off the oscilloscope, but in
better detail.  I am guessing there may be other commands that can be
sent to the encoder to get other data and functions.  But, anyway, what
this particular unit provides is :
A 15-bit angular position count and a 14-bit revolution count that are
reset the first time the index position is passed.
This can be read as a contiguous 29-bit signed binary number.
A 15-bit unsigned angular position that is relative to where the encoder
was when power was turned on.
This does not reset when it passes index.
These counts both have a bunch of LSB zeros to accommodate encoders with
higher resolution.
There seems to be an encoder model ID at the beginning and a 4-bit
checksum at the end.
I didn't find any sign of commutation info in the data stream I am
getting now, so it would be hard to make a servo drive move the motor to
the index position during the homing operation.  But, I have seen the
traditional Fanuc C1-C2-C4-C8 commutation signals on the encoder's PCB
test points, so there probably is a different command that will make it
send this info.

Jon