On ven, 2012-01-27 at 17:27 +0000, andy pugh wrote:
> On 27 January 2012 17:18, Spiderdab <77...@tiscali.it> wrote:
>
> > I personally think this kind of bug are of a main importance, and that
> > also should be simple to solve
>
> I am not sure it is, in the general case..
>
> Working out the boundary of the space that a non-trivial mechanism can
> reach while staying inside its joint limits isn't especially easy.
>
> The only way I can think to do it is to virtually run through all
> possible positions. I suspect that the answer should be that a
> non-trivial machine shouldn't have soft limits in space, only on the
> joints. It should be possible to check that the inverse kins returns
> valid joint positions for all end-points of a G-code program, but
> testing whether intermediate points of arcs are possible is not
> particularly easy without running the G-code through "virtually"

Well if it's so difficult to retro calculate the possible
volume-position from the kin module (and it seems like that..), we could
add a lot-simplified limits-volume. Let's say i want my machine to warn
when x,y,z position exceeds a box, or a sphere or a cylinder, given by
those dimensions (dimensions..).
I think the 99% of machine can stay into similar limits.
Then the machinist must take care of particularities, like holes in the
egg!
In my opinion it should be simple and very effective.
Davide.