I'm still working on figuring those out as well.  :)

Near as I can tell, since there's no kernel space vs. user space with
the preempt-rt patch (everything runs in user-space), the realtime and
user-mode functions can be the same so the functions were merged into
linux_common.h.

I can't vouch for how correct this is for linuxcnc v2.5, but pretty
much the code seems to work for the 2.4.4.

On 4/26/2012 12:24 PM, Jan de Kruyf wrote:
> I dont seem to get 'rtapi_shmem_new()' and friends in
> ./rtapi/linux_rtapi.c which presumably is the rtapi interface in
> the case of rt_preempt.
>
> j.
>

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Charles Steinkuehler <
> char...@steinkuehler.net> wrote:

> Thanks for digging into this!
>
> Looking at diffs between the versions above, I think the problem
> may be related to the changes in the handling of mem_id,
> lib_mem_id, and comp->mem_id in hal_init and elsewhere.
>
> No smoking gun yet, but I had previously ignored these changes, as
> it looked to me like the comp->mem_id was something added by
> bitmuster for their shared memory area tests since it didn't exist
> in the linuxcnc 2.5 codebase.  Looking at the linuxcnc diff from
> 2.5.0-pre0 to 2.5.0-pre1, however, I see that this is a linuxcnc
> change and did not come from bitmuster.
>
> I suspect something in the preempt-rt patches needs to be updated
> or tweaked to account for this change, but I still don't understand
> the code well enough to pinpoint what might need fixing.

Live Security Virtual Conference
>> Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security
>> and threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
>> Discussions will include endpoint security, mobile security and
>> the latest in malware threats.
>> http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/

Live Security Virtual Conference
> threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
> Discussions will include endpoint security, mobile security and the
> latest in malware threats.
> http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/

- --
Charles Steinkuehler