On Wed, 31 Oct 2012, EBo wrote:

> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 22:56:28 -0500
> From: EBo <e...@sandien.com>
> To: emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Emc-developers] ferror calculation incorrect in motion
>
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 19:28:30 -0700 (PDT), Peter C. Wallace wrote:
>> After spending some forum time trying to help a customer with tuning
>> a torque
>> mode drive, I have noticed that ferror is calculated incorrectly and
>> if
>> minimized will result in less than optimum actual error.
>>
>> The error appears to be that ferror is calculated before the
>> trajectory is
>> calculated so it always compares the previous waypoint with the
>> current
>> (encoder) position. This is easily see by the difference in ferror
>> from the
>> PID error (they should be the same)
>>
>> This causes a value equal to the velocity in machine units per
>> second*servo
>> thread_period to be added to the ferror.
>
> interesting.  Can you give your preferred technical reference for the
> PID error calculation for review?  I am sure I can dredge several up,
> but you might have a clearer reference.  Also, have you located the
> offending code?  If so what file and line number?
>
>   Thanks and best regards,
>
>   EBo --

This is not a PID issue. The issue is that the ferror is calculated
differently than the PID error. So if you tune the PID loop properly the
ferror is larger then the PID error by an amount proportional to velocity.

The normal processing sequence that causes the problem is this: (and all the
HAL files I looked at are arranged this way, that is, read/motion/pid/write)

encoders are read to get current position
motion does ferror calculation (on previous waypoint but current encoder
position)
motion calculates next waypoint (TP)
PID uses difference in motions new waypoint and current encoder position to
calculate error

The problem is that if the PID loop is tuned so it has close to 0 error (its
error, which is the difference in the new waypoint and the current position)
you will have a calculated ferror thats equal to (velocity * sample period)
because the ferror was calculated from different data (current encoder
position and previous waypoint) than the PID error (calculated from current
encoder position and next waypoint)
and this is just plain wrong.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics