On 31 October 2012 12:43, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is sort of on my list of things to look at, eventually, if nobody
> competent comes along and beats me to it.

So, having started to think about this some more:

Tool number. Can more than one tool of the same tool-number exist? Redis
wants a unique key for each entry. Do we make the key be the tool number,
or keep it separate?
(ie, find the tool with number 1, then return the diameter of that tool, or
simply return the tool:1:diameter?).
I can see how you might want a database of named tools, and just change
their allocated T-number to suit. I can also see that mandating unique
T-numbers would be reasonable.

Pocket Number. I think more than 1 tool can share a pocket (gang tooling,
or alternative tool-sets).
Currently pocket-zero is the spindle. How do we handle tools that are not
currently available? (Pocket "none" might work)

Each tool can probably have geometry and wear offsets in XYZ/UVW. Do we
need geometry offsets in ABC? How about wear offsets?

Diameter/Radius

Front Angle / Back Angle

Comment.

Nose radius? Might be useful for clever kins?

SFM? Material? Insert code? Or are those all comments?

With something database-y it seems we can add values simply as and when
required. Then the tool-editor(s) can simply access what they want and not
even notice the rest.
So there is a subset of things that need to be available for current code,
and then a number of items that might be added for future modules
(automated insert ordering based on logged usage....)

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.