On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Kent A. Reed <kentallanr...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 12/7/2012 6:49 AM, John Thornton wrote:
> > In any case I doubt a newbee can find a man page with both hands... much
> > less know to look for a man page.
>
> Now THAT'S dismissive :-)
> man abs - returns a description of the family of Linux functions which
> compute the absolute value of an integer
> man 9 abs - returns a description of the HAL abs component

Assuming a new user looks at the INI or HAL file of a typical
stepper/parallel-port config they might try:
$ man parport
No manual entry for parport
or perhaps
$ man hal_parport
which gives a description of something deeper down:
int  hal_parport_get(int  comp_id,  hal_parport_t *port, unsigned short
              base, unsigned short base_hi, unsigned int modes)

To make the documentation task manageable I think the HTML/PDF docs must be
autogenerated from comments in the source - just like man-pages for
components written with comp are now.
But to make the documentation complete we would need a mechanism of
generating man-pages from a number of components that don't use comp.
FWIW I hardly ever use man-pages for HAL-components through the terminal,
but I find the online HTML very useful.

Anders