The PPA now has an 'smictrl' utility package for manipulating the SMI
register.  More info here:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?XenomaiKernelPackages#Latency_spikes_and_SMI

Gilles Chanteperdrix, a Xenomai dev, warned me against enabling SMI
workarounds for all kernels.  There's no separate kernel module for
Xenomai like there is for RTAI, so SMI workarounds can't be manipulated
after the kernel compile.

This utility by Jan Kiszka, another Xenomai dev, can manipulate the SMI
register at runtime.  It can also be used for RTAI, PREEMPT_RT or even
vanilla kernels.  More info here about installing and using:

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?XenomaiKernelPackages#Latency_spikes_and_SMI

Debian source packaging here:
https://github.com/zultron/smictrl-deb

There's no documentation for it other than the source and what I wrote
on the wiki.

This could be a great utility for the general LCNC audience.  Current
users on RTAI, I assume, enable or disable SMIs globally by loading or
unloading a kernel module.  The smictrl utility makes it easy to tweak
individual registers at runtime without having to compile/recompile the
kernel module.

It would be great if someone wanted to wrap it up in python and provide
docs to make it more user friendly.  It would also be nice to have an
init script and a config file to make settings configurable and
persistent across boots.  Volunteers?  ;)

        John