On 2/7/2013 12:39 PM, Michael Haberler wrote:
> Andy,
>
> Am 07.02.2013 um 18:28 schrieb andy pugh:
>
>> On 7 February 2013 16:39, Kenneth Lerman <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 1 -- I would still like to have arrays of characters (strings), and I'd
>>> like them supported up to the gcode (interpreter) level. I should be
>>> able to call a (gcode) function that engraves the value of a string
>>> parameter (my name).
>> I also think this would be useful.
>> I have written components that link to Hostmot2 objects by name (BSPI,
>> UART) and the way I currently do it (loadrt modparam which needs to
>> match a string hidden in dmesg output) is not something I am proud of.
> Could you outline the exact flow of information a bit more for me?
>
> That is a setup-time operation in HAL, isnt it? Who's doing what to whom by 
> which operation?
>
> Note I wrote about HAL status reporting - originating from components, going 
> to other interested parties by means of messaging.
>
> I explicitly excluded the problem of feeding commands into HAL components 
> like motion or iocontrol, to keep the problem in email size.
>
> - Michael
Having parameters that are strings would let us create a general 
calculation component. That would be a component with signal pins and 
calculation pins. The calculation pins would have strings that looked 
like: "((pin3 * pin 4) + pin5)/(6 + pin7)".  The component could have a 
interpreter that would permit generic calculations.

I've build this type of thing before (in 1974 with an Intel 8080 
processor), for both arithmetic and logical (boolean) operations (two 
different components). The original versions used a pretty simple 
interpreter. If I were to do this today, I might build a JIT compiler to 
byte code with a simple interpreter.

Having this type of component would eliminate a bunch of other component 
types and all of the "wiring" among them.

Just some random thoughts.

Regards,

Ken
>
>> -- 
>> atp
>> If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
>> http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Free Next-Gen Firewall Hardware Offer
>> Buy your Sophos next-gen firewall before the end March 2013
>> and get the hardware for free! Learn more.
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/sophos-d2d-feb
>> _______________________________________________
>> Emc-developers mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-developers
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Free Next-Gen Firewall Hardware Offer
> Buy your Sophos next-gen firewall before the end March 2013
> and get the hardware for free! Learn more.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/sophos-d2d-feb
> _______________________________________________
> Emc-developers mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-developers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Next-Gen Firewall Hardware Offer
Buy your Sophos next-gen firewall before the end March 2013 
and get the hardware for free! Learn more.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/sophos-d2d-feb
_______________________________________________
Emc-developers mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-developers

Reply via email to