> Tier 3) Everyone else.  It is currently difficult to "elegantly" share
> any updates with others.  I can very easily clone git.linuxcnc.org to
> my box and make some changes, but then what?  Do I post a patch to the
> mailing list (ignored and/or easily lost)?  Do I open my local git
> repository to use by others (hard to setup, has security implications,
> and assumes that in addition to crafting a fix/update for LinuxCNC I'm
> also a network admin capable of safely running a public service on the
> internet)?  Do I push a clone of the LinuxCNC git repository to
> somewhere like github, bitbucket, etc. and point folks to my changes
> there (seems a bit presumptuous at the least)?

Well it seems we have a few options at the moment - even one I didn't know
about.

You could send a git patch to the mail list.
You can submit a patch to the bug tracker.
You could git clone linuxcnc and host it for others to download / look at.
You clone linuxcnc through the github mirror, fork it, then pull request.

And they all suffer the same problem.
There is no mechanism in place to guarantee evaluation, facilitate mentoring,
or announce intention of inclusion, of patches.

We are currently in a odd state - big enough that a small band of 'core' can
not readily handle the volume nor the communication required to satisfy would
be contributors, yet not large enough to find enough volunteers to delegate.
(all IMHO)

Our New IRC meetings may help in this regard.
Eg the one item we missed was a proposal to incorporate Micheal's jog while
paused idea.

If that one passed one would hope a discussion would start about how best to
develop that proof-of-concept code into stable, releasable code (I have not
looked at the code - this is just an example)

Github seems to be a popular option. What is it that we need to satisfy it's
users?
Promotion ?
A dedicated volunteer to monitor it ?
some other technical work?
has anybody used it ? can we track that already?

Chris M