On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 21:34:43 -0500
Charles Steinkuehler <char...@steinkuehler.net> wrote:

> IMHO, there really needs to be a "Sid" branch of LinuxCNC that is
> GUARANTEED to break your machine and kill the machine operator (anyone
> in the field actually using this on real equipment deserves what they
> get!), but is used to track the major changes and community additions
> which then filter down into master (which I view as similar to "Debian
> Testing") and the current release version (which I see as "Debian
> Stable").
>
> Anyway, what I really want is a way for Joe Average New User to be
> able to tweak a HAL component, configuration, kinematics module, or
> similar, share the results with the community, and (should the code
> prove good enough) get it merged with the experimental (Sid) branch of
> LinuxCNC.

The simplest way to deal with this is to give anyone who wants it,
commit access to their own branch on git.linuxcnc.org. Somebody could
have multiple branches for different ideas, including a 'Sid' branch if
they are interested in being its maintainer. Commit access to master,
v2.4_branch, and v2.5_branch are restricted to their respective release
managers. Maybe there's even some add-on program you can get for a git
server that facilitates collaboration and implements a "pull request"
type system for the local developers.

Does anyone know if that's possible?

Thanks,
Matt