On 7/1/13 11:15 , Ian McMahon wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2013, at 11:45 AM, Matt Shaver <m...@mattshaver.com> wrote:
>
>> OK, I want to start making a "HOWTO Contribute To The Project" wiki
>> page. Linked to that page will be this page that's at least the
>> beginnings of what you want:
>> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Git
>> Once I get the "HOWTO Contribute To The Project" page going, I'll see
>> about getting the experts (jepler & seb probably) to address any
>> shortcomings you can identify on the "Git" page. Can you review this for
>> me and point out where the "Git" page needs improving/expanding?
>
> I will spend some time writing up some comments in a separate email.

After learning at the hackfest that it is unclear how to contribute to
LinuxCNC, i took that "Git" wiki page and started adding it to our real
docs (the stuff we keep in git and publish as html & pdf).

I split the info on the wiki page into two documents: "Using Git"[0] is
intended to become a brief intro to how to use git, and "Contributing to
LinuxCNC"[1] is intended to be specifically about how to clone/branch
our repo and get your commits out into the world for people to review
and/or pull into the mainline repo.

0:
http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/doc/scratch/v2.5.2~contributor-docs-1~f892e30/html/code/Using-git.html

1:
http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/doc/scratch/v2.5.2~contributor-docs-1~f892e30/html/code/Contributing-to-LinuxCNC.html

I have a couple of thoughts on this documentation.

I don't think the LinuxCNC project should run a school on how to use
git.  There are many other excellent git tutorials that do a very good
job of this already, and the best ones I've found are linked in the
first section of the "Using Git" document.

I think the wiki is a fine place for many kinds of docs, but it's a bit
disorganized, it can be hard to find what you're looking for, and wiki
pages receive less maintenance than our "real" docs and can get a bit
stale and outdated.  So i'd like to encourage documentation efforts to
have the goal of having the docs end up in git instead of on the wiki.

The (very incomplete) branch that adds those two docs above is on
linuxcnc.org, and is called 'contributor-docs-1'[2].  My goal is to
finish those docs up and merge the branch into 2.5.  Read the docs in
that branch and follow the instructions if you want to contribute to the
docs in that branch ;-)

2:
http://git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=linuxcnc.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/contributor-docs-1

--