I'm definitely planning on making it realtime.  I was just more familiar
with Python, so that's where I started.

The parameters I have for my extruder are to be within 2 degrees of the
target for 10 seconds.  I didn't see anything PID wise that would help with
the timing.

There were two reasons I did it this way.  First is that I was having
horrible over and under-shoot during the initial heating period.  My PID
parameters are better tuned now, so things might have improved.
However, reason two is heating speed.  This is especially true with the
heated bed.  I set it to full power until it is within one degree of the
target.  With PID, it would either taper off too soon, or have a severe
overshoot.

With the current set-up, I have very quick warm-up times, and
over/under-shoot of less than 2 degrees.

Troy