On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 03:14:17PM -0500, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> Several of the listed files are from me.  I can't push anything to the
> LinuxCNC repository, but I'm willing to clean up my files and commit
> them.  I have a github clone of the LinuxCNC repository where I can push
> changes to the ubc-3 branch and send a pull request, or would you prefer
> a different work-flow?
>
> Alternately, I can push to my MachineKit branch (currently based off
> ubc-2) and changes can be pulled into ubc-3.

Unless Michael H. has a different opinion, I can accept your patches and
push them onto the tip of the ubc branch.

> > = configs/ARM/BeagleBone/BeBoPr-Bridge/dtc.sh and other new sh files
> >
> > Does not contain license declaration.  Some appear to be duplicated in
> > multiple
> > directories; use our facility configs/common so that build process copies to
> > each destination.  Or put them in scripts/ if sensible.
>
> This is from me as well, I'll add a license header.
>
> I realize there is a fair amount of duplication of some files in the
> BeagleBone config directories.  I'm still working out how to put things
> like python scripts and include files in common places that can be
> referenced in HAL files.  I am willing and anxious to get rid of the
> duplication...I'm the one having to keep all the various files updated
> and synchronized!  :)
>
> All help and suggestions are greatly appreciated!  Particularly with how
> to put python based user-mode HAL components in a common location and
> still be able to load them from a HAL file!

If you put an executable file in scripts/, "halcmd loadusr" should find
it.  For shell scripts where "#!/bin/sh" will work on all systems,
that's what I'd do.

For Python scripts, put it in the source tree with or without a #!-line.
Then you'll have to do some cut&paste in a Submakefile:

$(PYBIN): ../bin/%: emc/usr_intf/axis/scripts/%.py
        @$(ECHO) Syntax checking python script $(notdir $@)
        $(Q)$(PYTHON) -c 'import sys; compile(open(sys.argv[1]).read(),
sys.argv[1], "exec")' $<
        $(ECHO) Copying python script $(notdir $@)
        $(Q)(echo '#!$(PYTHON)'; sed '1 { /^#!/d; }' $<) > $@.tmp && chmod +x
$@.tmp && mv -f $@.tmp $@

change emc/usr_intf/axis/scripts to the directory you chose (something under
hal/user_comps probably makes sense) and put it in that Submakefile.  (and if
it's a new Submakefile add it to the top-level submakefile)

then list all the scripts:
PYTARGETS += bin/yourscript1 bin/yourscript2
to be made from e.g., src/hal/user_comps/beaglebone/yourscript1.py and
.../yourscript2.py.

Jeff