On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 11:18:53AM -0500, John Morris wrote:
> You mean it's possible to ship the driver sources in tarballs
> distributed by the LinuxCNC project?  I think so.
>
> IIRC, Seb's buildbots build and test the source separately from .debs.
> The .deb pkg builds would need to disable the EtherCAT build, since the
> build results are 'distributed' from the buildbot web page.

No, I mean that this ethercat driver should live in its own git repo
and/or .tar.gz file not shipped from linuxcnc.org in source or binary
form.  This is technically possible (or if it isn't, we'd want to fix
it), because we ship Makefile.modinc in our -dev package to ease
building userspace and realtime HAL components outside of the linuxcnc
source tree.

That way whoever thinks that there is not a GPL conflict here can ship
source (and binaries if they see fit) from their own website.

But no, I was emphatically *not* suggesting to ship GPL-incompatible
source via linuxcnc.org even if we take care not to ship the
corresponding binaries.

Jeff