On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 09:38:12AM +0800, Yishin Li wrote:
> The license stated from IgH EtherCAT Master for Linux :
> All the source code available through IgH is licensed under the GPLv2
> license.
> http://www.etherlab.org/en/ethercat/index.php

Read on to the paragraph just below, which reads "The license above
concerns the source code only.  Using the EtherCAT technology and brand
is only permitted in compliance with the industrial property and similar
rights of Beckhoff Automation GmbH.".

Specifically, Beckhoff Automation GmbH claims that the implementation of
EtherCAT is covered by their patents and that you:
 * must enter into an agreement with them in order to use the software
   (this restriction conflicts with GPLv2 section 0)
 * may not modify the software so that it is not a compliant EtherCAT
   Master (this restriction conflicts with GPLv2 section 0)
 * may not grant a sublicense for the software (this restriction
   conflicts with GPLv2 section 4)
[my own paraphrase of highlights from
http://ethercatmaster.berlios.de/files/EtherCAT_Master_License_Agreement.pdf]

Any one of these three problems would put the LinuxCNC project in hot
water because of GPLv2 section 7, as I said in my initial message in
this thread.

If your reading is different, then feel free to develop and distribute
HAL drivers which link to an EtherCAT master implementation but do not
ask us to distribute them in source or binary form from LinuxCNC.org,
including by placing them in our git tree.

Jeff