On 3/1/14 11:04 , Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
> (Now that i think about it, ubc has three flavors that use userspace
> threads, all presumably implemented by posix threads: posix, rt-preempt,
> and xenomai-user.  I dont know how things work in the rt-preempt and
> xenomai-user flavors, hopefully their scheduling somehow matches our
> invariant.  If not, that would be bad...)

I'm requesting education about UB.

In 2.5 and master we have the following behaviors:

*  the low-priority thread (the servo thread) does not interrupt the
high-priority thread (the base thread)

* the high-priority thread (base thread) and the low-priority thread
(servo thread) do not run concurrently on different processors

RTAI and libpth provide these behaviors.

(This all made sense when computers had a single processor, and it
probably does not make sense now that computers have multiple
processors, but that is not the discussion i want to have in this thread.)

In UB there are four(?) new thread styles: xenomai-kernel, xenomai,
rtpreempt, and posix.  (That's in addition to the rtai thread style
which is the same as the rtai thread style in 2.5 & master.)

We know that posix threads do not preserve the scheduling behaviors
above, this was revealed by the threads.0 test.

I do not know if the remaining three thread styles preserve the
scheduling behaviors, and if they do, what the mechanisms that implement
this behavior are.

John or Michael, can you illuminate the issue?

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky