Close I think..  If you look at the arcspiral vs the spiral.. Now the
spiral (made up of short line segments) will increase and decrease in
speed as the motion goes between the x and y axis.  (x set to 500ipm y
set to 180)  arcspiral (and for that matter a circle) with be capped at
the y axis speed.

I think we would want the same behavior as the spiral made up of line
segment (speed up and down as it passes bettween 2 different axis
velocities.)

Here is my rational..  If you have a machine that has a fast and slow
axis.  (be it say fast x and slow z) you would generate your engraving
to run on the fastest axis.  But if your cam software outputs fitted
arcs - the segments will be capped by the slowest axis.

(does this makes sense?)

as always - awesome work!
sam