On Mar 7 2015 8:47 AM, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
> On 03/06/2015 11:28 PM, Slavko Kocjancic wrote:
>>
>> I just throw my eyes to that. And find what?
>> One of thing is "Add flow control to halstreamer". I already do that
>> and
>> even post the change but nobody care about that. I post changes on
>> this
>> list and forum but didn't push to trunk as I don't have permission
>> to do
>> that.
>
> That's not true.  I reviewed your patch and gave you feedback on what
> you would need to fix for it to be mergable.  You never finished it.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/emc/feature-requests/125/

Sounds like we need a couple of FAQ items to communicate what is
expected for patches.  I will say that reading the feature request log
that both parties were clear:

1) it needs a little cleaning up and documenting in order to merge into
the source.

2) the poster is not familiar with what is meant by the terms "white
space", and was unsure about how to edit the documentation.

In all of this there are two assumptions that should be clearly
expressed.  1) most of the developer/maintainers either do not have the
time or choose not to spend time to clean up code formatting and style
issues.  It might seem trivial for one or two additions, but could
easily turn into a full time job, and we really need people to make
their new code look as close to code around it.  This will help its long
term maintainability, and we have to rely on the posting fixes/additions
to sort as much of this out as possible.  2) The original poster figured
that he got it close enough and wanted us to jump in and polish it up.
What he should have done at that point is either get on IRC or email the
list and ask for help instead of assuming that someone would read the
feature request and jump in.  So, you basically need to find either a
champion or a fellow compatriot to help do the finish polish.  It might
take awhile to find someone to help -- as most of us are insanely busy,
and unless this is something that we *NEED*, we end up working on our
own projects.

There are probably a couple of dozen little features which are in the
same state.  I know that I submitted a *huge* patch to fix a 32/64-bit
issue awhile back, and I doubt that it ever got pulled in as there was
something that needed changing and I had a huge job at work come up, and
only the gods know whatever happened with it...

Now that these things are being tracked better, it is less likely to be
dropped and forgotten.  That said, I think giving a couple of these hung
patches to a GSoC intern would be a great help.

Well, that's my 2c

   EBo --