On Mon, 10 Aug 2015, Nicholas Mc Guire wrote:

> Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 08:40:02 +0200
> From: Nicholas Mc Guire <der.h...@hofr.at>
> To: EMC developers <emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-developers] research on optical encoders
>
> On Sat, 08 Aug 2015, Peter C. Wallace wrote:
>

>>> I think the trick the Resolute encoder uses is this: the image is captured
>>> in
>>> a perhaps sub microsecond flash of the LED, and then the "image" can be
>>> shifted out of the sensor at a leisurely rate. The specifications sort of
>>> suggests this (very fast capture (ns) time, but only multi KHz maximum
>>> update
>>> rate)
>>>
>>> Peter Wallace
>>> Mesa Electronics
>>>

>> They may in fact use a laser for illumination as AFAIK you can get higher
>> peak
>> power with a pulsed laser than a LED. These are in the $30 region for 75W
>> peak
>> 40 ns pulse width, not much vibration or motion blur in 40 ns :-)
>>

> the problem is not the vibration in the 40ns
> but that the recorded encoder image is more or less
> a random position within the vibration range of
> the device + vibration of the laser - I was thinking
> about compensations like done with satelite images
> where multiple pictures are taken and then the signals
> are compensated by filtering out szintilation effects
>
> If the actual sampling is in the multi kHz range only then
> that would be well in the modes that such systems can have
> and one - worst case - would have the full vibration in
> the positional information. Just wonder if there are any
> detection algorithms that look into such issues. Naively
> one could do a fft on the position data under the assumption
> that motion should be constant/known-trajectory and that
> could reveale such vibration/aliasing induced errors.
>
>> http://www.osram-os.com/osram_os/en/products/product-catalog/laser-diodes/high-power-laser-diodes/pulsed-laser-diodes/hybrid-pulsed-laser-diodes/index.jsp
>>
>> ( thank you Harold Edgerton )
>>
> thx!
> hofrat

Not sure vibration in the 10 KHz and up range is a serious problem here as it
takes significant energy to get even tiny displacements at 10 KHz or so in the
heavy mechanics used with precision encoders. Motion blur _is_ an issue but
this is solved by the strobed lighting.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)