Gentlemen,
I had a machine tool dealer/long time personal friend stop by last week.
I have known him since 1989.
He tried to hire me as his service department in 1993.
I have purchased three new machines and one used machine from him but no
machines since I started putting controls on old iron. The Cinci at MPM is
the used machine I purchased from him.
I give you that as background.
In 1997 I installed MDSI's OpenCNC on three 5 axis mills.
He was apprised of the situation from the beginning.
When I would explain what I was doing his eyes would glaze over as this
information would not result in a machine sale for him.
Last week he asked me if LinuxCNC has tool length compensation and cutter
compensation and work piece offsets. After all these years he still had to
ask as there is no way a control you download free can do anything real.
I said yes and tried to explain to him about the LinuxCNC kinematics I
wrote to correct the geometry on the Cinci 5 axis. Again, I saw the eyes
glaze over. How could he make profit on the purchase of an old machine and
installing a free control even if it was a better than new machine when you
finished?
I don't have a killer UI to show him. All I have is UI the operators will
use but not tell people they prefer over other control UIs. The UI
acceptance is critical as the person in control of the purse is not usually
the one running the machine (in the environment of this conversation). The
operator must be able to explain the benefits of using the control and
without a sweet UI the explanation of benefits will never happen.
The conundrum I see is without the prospect of commercial profit you will
get no interest in implementation of LinuxCNC in the commercial world no
matter how much better it is compared to as it is now with the software
free and the developers giving their time without monetary compensation.
Several years ago I had a dealer bring his importer for a visit. During the
conversation I asked if they would allow me buy a machine without a
control. After they discussed it for a minute they agreed to allow me to
buy a new machine without a control. I was not in a position to take
advantage at that time but I believe it could be done today (maybe easier).
I have considered what it would be like to have a new machine with LinuxCNC
controlling it at IMTS. That would be expensive and how would I be able to
recover my expenses? It could easily cost USD50,000.00 to show a machine at
IMTS. No doubt it would be fun but profitable? Probably not.
For me that is not a problem as I like it the way it is now.
You have a problem? Start on the solution. When you come to a hard spot ask
for help. You will find help to solve your problem. How could it get any
better?

Embedded would/could be nice.
Dedicated kernel would/could be nice.
This seems to be a step closer to proprietary and away from the 'free'
nature of what we have now. Again I say, I like it the way it is now.
There are many questions regarding these steps not the least is maintenance.
The developer/releaser of the embedded dedicated kernel would have a
maintenance obligation at some level. That could be very expensive. I would
hate to have to pay/back pay the current/prior slate of developers. What a
contribution has been wrought from them. They somehow justify in their
lives and I appreciate it.
thanks
Stuart

--
Addressee is the intended audience.
If you are not the addressee then my consent is not given for you to read