> Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 01:09:23 -0800
> From: neilwhelc...@gmail.com
> To: emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: [Emc-developers] Moving closer to embedded
>
> Hello,
> One of the things that troubles me is that I am not seeing much work to
> make the Linuxcnc project feel like an embedded system.

Can you explain exactly what you mean by embedded?
i think you mean like a fanuc or tormach  where you turn on the machine and
that is all you can see.

> To me, it just seems quite unprofessional to have a desktop looking
> environment that is running in a milling machine. Is there some reason that
> someone (other than me) has not worked up a distro that is purpose built to
> run EMC similar to the way the the folks at MyData made their stuff work?

Distro work is a fairly painful and personal opinion work.
Nobody really likes to do it. Nobody is happy with all choices made.
It's necessary evil.

> Is there some reason that the user interfaces do not have the features of
> an embedded system included such as a button to shutdown or reboot the
> system, or even an embedded mode that makes them take over the whole screen?

take over the screen yes - gmoccapy any of gscreen and even AXIS can (with a
bit of work)
Shutdown and reboot surely that can be added - you are the first to ask about it
that I know of.

> For example, Gmoccapy has a feature in the settings to take over the whole
> screen, but it is an option that you can get to via the GUI. For this to be
> realistic, this option needs to be in a configuration file that you can not
> get to via the GUI.

Gmoccapy and gscreen Industrial have that option page hidden behind a security
code. It would be easy to make it not pop the security code dialog.

I'm pretty sure you can have ubuntu load a program on startup, so
besides seeing Ububtu or debian start screen you could have your screen
start up directly.

Chris M