On Dec 26 2015 4:27 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> [...]
>> >
>> > I've been gradually, as I can catch stuff dry, transfering it to
>> > plastic
>> > tub containers.  Still need another dozen or so to get it all
>> > protected.
>> >
>> > Dee must have 10 grand in copyrighted sheet music from her
>> teaching
>> > days
>> > in cardboard boxes yet.
>> >
>> > Not to mention old family pix and such that go back 100+ years.
>> And
>> > a few
>> > hundred lbs of old records, some even hill & dale recordings for a
>> > windup Victrola that hasn't had a windup key ever on my watch for
>> > the last 26 years.  The rocker/crib she was a baby in, 75+ yo now
>> > just like
>> > her. Heck, my reloading bench dates from about 1960-61 when Annie
>> &
>> > I moved to the Black Hill's & we had deer standing around waiting
>> > for a dinner invite from a 30-06.  We ate well even when the cash
>> > was thin. ;-)

>> > Thats this one, the only way to fix it is bring in a crane,
>> > disconnect
>> > it, and set it down all cockeyed nearly blocking the street,
>> > demolish this basement, dig and pour a new one all in one piece,
>> no
>> > damned blocks, with lots of wire mesh re-enforcement, & set the
>> > house back on
>> > it, raising the house about a foot in the process because the
>> > basement
>> > ceiling is a good foot too low. As if thats going to happen on
>> whats
>> > left of my watch...  It might be the last thing I start, and we
>> > don't have THAT kind of money by a factor of at least 2.
>>
>> Still not ideal, but have you thought of digging out around the stem
>> wall and pouring an external wrap around it?  That does not fix the
>> 1'
>> to low basement, but at least it fixes the intrusion problem.
>>
>>    EBo --
>
> "stem wall"? Not a term I am familiar  with, sorry. The front wall in
> particular, has the roots of a row of burning bush we planted too
> close
> pushing it inward, and that has caused a slight inward bulge halfway
> up
> the wall, crack width less than 1/16", but no water appears to be
> coming
> it from that.  Its all around the base of the wall, up to 3, maybe 4"
> above the poured floor. In any event, if we can keep the water pumped
> out, it will outlast us, at which point my kids can do whatever with
> it.
> Dee never had any of her own.  Its paid for & has been for nearly 20
> years now. One of the boys, recently remarried to a great woman, has
> been looking for a place in WV, and has even explored the possibility
> of
> getting a transfer to here as his employer has a terminal here in WV

Stem walls go below the floor slab, and foundation walls go above the
slab.  I am used to having stem walls even with basements, but that
might just be the building codes back in NM.  (see
http://www.infoforbuilding.com/types-of-house-foundations.html)

This is what I was talking about with the perimeter drain field:

http://www.aquaguardinjection.com/residential/concrete-block-foundation-waterproofing/interior-weeping-tile-system

http://www.foundationprosfl.com/exterior-basement-waterproofing.html

I have also known people to install rain gutter pipes that go a LONG
way from the house to move the water as far away as possible.  There was
also one story I heard of a family that installed a wall up slope from
their house to divert overland flow when they got a good rain.  I think
that helped them some.

This might also be helpful:
https://www.ndspro.com/images/stories/pdfs/drainage/principles-of-exterior-drainage.pdf

> However, that may have taken 2nd place as they, about a year ago,
> bought
> a whole, roughly 8 acre, un-incorporated town in central Kansas. A
> foreclosed Fanny Mae property, a 3 bedroom house with attached 2
> bedroom
> apartment, a 4 stall and workspace heated garage, and several other
> smaller houses and outbuildings including what was once the post
> office,
> and got it for the price of enough paint to paint it all twice! Your
> tax
> dollars, hardly at work.

I've seen a number of places like this come up.  I would not blame that
on our tax dollars, but you might be right.

   EBo --