On Monday 23 January 2017 13:10:00 John Kasunich wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 12:29 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > The catch-22. :) In your case & similar fixed speed no encoder
> > situations John, could you do an s number in your gcode 10% faster
> > than the nameplate speed for that belt position?
>
> I have an encoder.
>
> An encoder (at least a single pulse per rev) is an absolute must for
> threading.
>
> What I don't have is a VFD or other computer-controllable speed
> changer.

 After the fact conversion is pretty straight fwd, does involve money
though. I was lucky and stumbled over a air compressor with hospital
redundancy, 2 independently controlled 1 hp 3 phase motors feeding one
tank. I made the guy an offer of $50 for both of them and when I
indicated I was buying a pig in a poke since they were in unk condition,
he decided to get out the smith wrench and cut them off the mount pads.

It turned out one had some lumpy bearings so I bought two sets and put on
in, and its under the pedestal now.

But a change in the grease formula in the upper countershaft made little
diff in the bearing temps, so I guess I measure the shaft to fit some
torrington needles, pull the spindle and that shaft so I can  put fresh,
not so lumpy belts in while I have it apart, but may have to get someone
else to ream the bearing holes to fit the torringtons as I looked at the
yoke this afternoon & theres no way in hell I can swing that in TLM to
do that bore job.  Obviously I can't run my spindle with it while I bore
it.  Nor do I have the reamers it would take.  So we're still cogitating
on it.  I even lowered all the belt tensions until it was slowing from
the drag as it warmed up in 3rd gear. Bearing temps in 6 or 7 minutes
were flirting with 150F. So I'm not going to be able to use more than
2nd gear until I do do something about it.

> > Otoh, I see this is becoming quite complex, trying to cover ALL
> > possibilities. Trying to save us from our own idiocy is frequently
> > an arduous task.
>
> Indeed.

In fact I'm surprised you didn't amplify that a bit.

> At some point the complexity introduced by trying to detect
> bugs in the g-code will wind up introducing bugs of its own.

There is that aspect too.

> > So how about a halui button to check the file for
> > violations based on the s-word value at the time the g33/G76 code
> > was encountered in the file?  Perhaps that would be easier?
>
> No halui button needed.  The preview can do the violation check.  As
> you say, it would use the s-word in effect at the point the G33 is
> encountered.

Would that not add an objectionable time delay while loading old, well
tested code? TANSTAAFL principle.  OTOH, we'd get used to in time.

>  John Kasunich
>   jmkasun...@fastmail.fm

Good conversation John, thank you very much.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)