On Wed, 22 May 2019 at 13:58, John Thornton <bjt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd say something is better than nothing so if we can produce a LiveDVD
> with Debian 9 and preempt-rt and LinuxCNC Uspace we should.

Well, that already exists (and I have a few machines installed from it)
http://www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/

On one of my machines that gives the best latency numbers I have ever seen
(< 5k) but I have also heard that it is terrible on some other machines.

There is even a documentation patch lined up to make the switch:
 https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/pull/500/commits

I think that could happen instantly, at the cost of not offering a working
RTAI option.

--
atp
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed