On Wednesday 22 May 2019 08:31:15 am andy pugh wrote:

> We have a problem...
>
> We need a 2.7 LiveCD that works.
> We will need a 2.8 LiveCD that works.
>
> Currently there is a 2.7 LiveCD running preempt-rt waiting in the
> wings. That is based on Stretch and so will be usable until June 2020.
> (ie, one more year)
>
> LinuxCNC has historically used RTAI, and this has tended to give
> better results for software stepping with the parallel port.
> We have a LiveCD based on Wheezy and RTAI but that is currently
> somewhat broken (the apt sources list points at files that are no
> longer there now that Wheezy is a long way past EOL)
> I have tried to respin that ISO using the archive repositiories. So
> far that isn't going all that well.
>
> Do we switch to the (working) preempt-rt Stretch ISO and abandon RTAI?
> Has anyone made RTAI work with a Linux version that is currently
> current? I have tried compiling for kernel 4.9 with Stretch and whilst
> it compiled and ran, and LinuxCNC compiled against it, nothing useful
> happened when I tried to run LinuxCNC.
>
> What I hoped we could do (urgently) is switch to the preempt-rt
> stretch image with an alternate download link to a (fixed ) Wheezy
> RTAI ISO with a disclaimer that we know it to be ancient.
>
> I guess we could link to it with a note that "This is so ancient that
> you will need to edit the apt sources before anything will work"
>
> Thinking further ahead: What OS and realtime system should we plan to
> release 2.8 on?

I'd vote for buster for the distro which is due to be marked stable in a
few days, and whatever kernel in the 5.0 rt area from the linux-rt
mailing list announcements that compiles and everything runs.  The
current testing iso's kernel has truly amazing latency-test figures on
this old amd phenom, might even run steppers thru the parport but its
not been tried, but has two gotchas.

1: remove any usb-serial devices plugged in so it doesn't setup brltty
for the braille using blind at install, its broken and will disable all
your usb-serial adapters until you sudo apt remove brltty .

2: The hplip package, which includes hpfax, turned out to be a total
showstopper crash, intermittent after about a days uptime, and random
until I found an error recorded in syslog, and renamed the hpfax binary
to hpfox. You can't remove hplip as it takes your desktop with it.  So
just disable hpfax. It apparently goes funkity when cron calls it and it
has nothing to do, but it kills hid-common locking you out of the
machine, with the front panel reset button your only rescue.

Thats it, I am using that testing install as this, my basic house machine
right now, with an uptime of over 4 days since I found the hpfax problem
and renamed it.

For a new install thats bound to have a wart or 6, I think its a keeper.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)