On Friday 06 March 2020 18:59:12 Peter C. Wallace wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Mar 2020, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2020 18:38:53 -0500
> > From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> > To: emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
> > Subject: [Emc-developers] nother Q for  Peter C.W.
> >
> > I have now put 2 ATD667LSG's on this block and have failed to get a
> > working index pulse into linuxcnc thru the encoder index pin of a
> > 7i76D.
> >
> > I've mounted it branded face against a block of alu, with a green 3
> > pin socket to allow unplugging it quickly, and I jbwelded a piece of
> > a nail to the side of the drawbar cap/bolt retainer at the top of
> > the spindle, but I can't get a false out of it at any orientation of
> > the nail or a tool waved past it.
> >
> > I've tried 2 new ones now, and they  appear to be stuck high/true
> > when the connector is made up, but goes false about 1 second after
> > unplugging it. Attempting to measure the current gets a worst case
> > of about 1.2 u-amps to ground, and that is not enough to pull it
> > down to false unless the dvm is replaced by a short to ground and
> > shows zilch current to the 5 volts.
> >
> > Trying to measure input current by inserting the dvm between its
> > output and the encoder-index in looks like a small capacitor
> > charging, but drops to zero current in nominally 1 second and stays
> > there.
> >
> > W4-W5-W6 have been tried both ways, but to the left s/b ttl and
> > everything except the ATS667 is ttl.  Its supposed to be able to
> > sink 25 ma up to 70 ma with a 12 volt supply, but its only getting
> > 4.92 volts.
> >
> > 3 of them have been working on 5 volts on the lathe for going on 3
> > years. Worked fine till the goop went to hell because it dissolves
> > in 0-W20 synthetic spindle oil.
> >
> > I'm bumfuzzled.  Obviously I'm doing something wrong but what?
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law
> > respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis

> You can test the 7I76D index input in TTL mode by simply shorting it
> to ground. The encoder inputs have 2K pullups to 5V. You can read the
> index pin status in hal, for a 5I25/6I25 and a 7I76 (encoder 0) that
> pin would be:
>
> hm2_5i25.0.encoder.00.input-index
which is where I am checking it. A short to ground on that wire=false.
The nominally 5 volts on the red wire is a solid 4.91 volts like it was
solid copper all the way. Probably coming from the Dells 5 volts from a
psu thats drifting low with age.

> I would check the ATS667 5V and GND connections, sounds like something
> is open

That was my first thought too.  But I can't find a finger to use as a
divining rod.

> Peter Wallace
> Mesa Electronics

Cheers, Gene Heskett