On Saturday 07 March 2020 13:26:00 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 03/06/2020 11:13 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > That cross patterned face is then a target to be machined
> > into the mount to locate it more precisely?
>
> Maybe, or just a place for epoxy to bond to.  That face with
> the cross indentation is where the bias magnet is,
> The flat face nearest the leads is where the actual sensor
> chip is.
>
> > I'm in the house but I now seem to recall that its the
> > smooth side that's facing the gear in the lathe.
>
> Yes, that's the only way it would work.
>
> > Duh. It takes a 16mm projector lens and damned strong
> > light to read the text printed on the "branded face". What
> > the hell were they thinking? You're saying that the
> > depressed cross in the 5% smaller face is not the sensed face?
>
> Yes.
>
> > That the crossed pattern should be the face glued to the
> > mount?
>
> Yes.
>
> > In that event I also have them wired reversed polarity.
> > Which shouldn't hurt them as they are rated for up to 18
> > volts of reversed voltage.
>
> Oh, that will make it even less likely to sense anything.

Which with a reversed 5 volt supply doubly guarantees it won't work.

Since it also has a half mic tantalum cap across the power pins, which
was the ony thing being powered at its native polarity, so I'm starting
from scratch since the pin half of the plug ejected the pin while
unsoldering every thing else, so a new 3 pin socket is sitting in a thin
puddle of jbweld in the toaster oven at around 145F to hasten the cure.
After skimming off the die fins etc and washing it down with acetone for
better adhesion of course. hour or so ought to stick it, then glue on
another ATS667, put the heat on it for another hour and finish the
wireing starting with tradeing ground and 5 volts on the cable coming to
it.  And maybe I can test it yet today. If I don't screw it up again...

One thing is for sure though, I can't net the command-deriv to joint-vel,
its instant following error. Joint never moves, but will move in that
direction at a good clip after being reset and re-enabled, so its the
backlash move that triggers it. the following error occurs when an axis
is reversed. But thats a different problem for another day and thread.

> Jon

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis