I have now put 2 ATD667LSG's on this block and have failed to get a
working index pulse into linuxcnc thru the encoder index pin of a 7i76D.

I've mounted it branded face against a block of alu, with a green 3 pin
socket to allow unplugging it quickly, and I jbwelded a piece of a nail
to the side of the drawbar cap/bolt retainer at the top of the spindle,
but I can't get a false out of it at any orientation of the nail or a
tool waved past it.

I've tried 2 new ones now, and they  appear to be stuck high/true when
the connector is made up, but goes false about 1 second after unplugging
it. Attempting to measure the current gets a worst case of about 1.2
u-amps to ground, and that is not enough to pull it down to false unless
the dvm is replaced by a short to ground and shows zilch current to the
5 volts.

Trying to measure input current by inserting the dvm between its output
and the encoder-index in looks like a small capacitor charging, but
drops to zero current in nominally 1 second and stays there.

W4-W5-W6 have been tried both ways, but to the left s/b ttl and
everything except the ATS667 is ttl.  Its supposed to be able to sink 25
ma up to 70 ma with a 12 volt supply, but its only getting 4.92 volts.

3 of them have been working on 5 volts on the lathe for going on 3 years.
Worked fine till the goop went to hell because it dissolves in 0-W20
synthetic spindle oil.

I'm bumfuzzled.  Obviously I'm doing something wrong but what?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis