Unfortunately neither buster or stretch Linuxcnc packages install on
Mint 19.2 "out of the box" hence the reason the Mint ISOs contain
packages I built myself.

If I had the ability to setup a repo for Mint I would, kernels and
packages are no problem building in a short time. The UEFI install
problems for RT_PREEMPT (more recent 4.x kernels patched with the rt
patch do not mount efivars, earlier ones do) have been sorted,
unfortunately RTAI is not really a viable option for UEFI systems. As
RTAI has no support for UEFI, efivars is not mount so grub will fail &
the RTAI kernel does not receive/get information about the number of
cores so will only be effectively a single core system.

If the Mint ISO's cause too much confusion I have written a script that
can pull the packages from my google drive and install the kernel,
linuxcnc packages and optionally install the bits for qtvcp and the
dependencies required to build linuxcnc from source. Thanks to the
interwebs I found some code that can download from google drive.

To be perfectly honest when I set up my Mill I did so via a custom
Debian net install image. Honestly my preference is Debian with XFCE
desktop, but with a single panel located at the bottom with Whisker menu
installed.

I thought the Licensing issue was with Ubuntu & their branding.

On 4/4/20 9:22 am, Rod Webster wrote:
I may be talking through my hat here but I seem to recall a licencing
issue with distributing Debian based ISO's so we sought and received
permission
>from the Mint team to distribute Mint based ISO's
I thought this was in addition to the existing agreemetns

Rod Webster
*1300 896 832*
+61 435 765 611
VMN®
www.vmn.com.au

On Sat, 4 Apr 2020 at 08:00, Phill Carter <phillcarte...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 4 Apr 2020, at 6:58 am, Sebastian Kuzminsky <seb.kuzmin...@gmail.com>
wrote:
On 4/3/20 1:40 PM, John Thornton wrote:
Indeed I have two machines running Ubuntu 10.04... if it ain't broke
don't fix it.
Noted!

2.8 doesn't build on Ubuntu 10.04, 2.7 is the last LinuxCNC release that
we build on that OS.  So, you know, the end is nigh.

I agree that Debian 10 should be the prime release in both RTAI and
PREEMPT-RT and if possible Mint.
At this time I don't see any advantage of Mint over Debian because you
can get the user friendly Mate desktop in both now. Before when Mate was
not in Debian my search for a better desktop drove me to Mint a few years
back to get a more user friendly desktop. I now have either Debian 10 or
Ubuntu 10.04 on all my machines.
I would *love* to standardize on Debian and not support all the
off-shoots like Ubuntu and Mint, etc.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky