Hi Chris,

On Mittwoch, 15. April 2020, 06:31:36 CEST Chris Morley wrote:
> I don't understand why you need to fake a size for roughing unless you are
> hand coding a quick part.

That's exactly what I do at work!
Handcoding all my jobs!
I get a drawing and code from that my jobs. At the machine! No pc involved.
Then I have to run the job for the number of pieces given.
I work at the only kind of machines, that use handcoded jobs. We have many
jobs with very small number of pieces (1-10 very common), or pieces with very
small jobs (cut just a rectangle - as preliminary for multiaxis machines).

If I have a small number of pieces, I like to use the same tool for roughing
and smoothing, as it is faster with one toolchange less.
With a bigger number of pieces I use two different tools (but probably
identically) for roughing and smoothing, as the lifetime of tool is smaller
than the estimated use-time in job.

We use shift-working, so I can't be sure, that the colleague knows the
sideeffects of my programming. Therefor I'd like to use safe codings.

cheers Reinhard