On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 at 17:58, René Hopf via Emc-developers
<emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> I added the EOL date of the official distros to the wiki:
> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MinimumSoftwareVersions
> Notice that only stretch and buster are not near end of life.

I tried to install Buster on my mill controller to have another test system.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work.
The board is fairly old, a Jetway JNF9C
https://www.jetwaycomputer.com/NF9C.html

The standard Buster installer goes through the first screen OK, where
one chooses an install type, but then freezes (with quiet boot turned
off) at the "freeing unused kernel memory" point.
Both of the RTAI kernels that I have (4.14.174-rtai and 4.19.114-rtai)
do slightly better[1], getting as far as a curses-style screen to
choose the install language. But at that point there is no keyboard
interaction possible (could be USB, but the board is new enough not to
have a PS/2 port.) Or it could be that the initrd.gz from the
installer is built for the 4.19.09 kernel and won't work with others.

So, we might have to support Stretch a little while longer. just for me.

[1] Here is how to run the installer from your own kernels on the HD,
section 5.14:
https://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/amd64/ch05s01.html.en#boot-initrd

--
atp