On Sun, 17 Jan 2021, Gene Heskett wrote:

Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 14:08:05 -0500
From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
To: emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-developers] Withdraw Pi support?

On Sunday 17 January 2021 12:06:42 Matt Shaver wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 15:17:57 +0000

andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:
The current linuxcnc-served Raspberry Pi realtime kernel does not
work with the latest hardware revision of the raspberry Pi.

Does it work for the 3B+? If so, maybe just add a note to the docs
that this is the hardware you have to use. In my own experience the
Pi3 works well, the Pi4 seems kind of shaky...

I don't want to be seen as starting an argument with the legendary Matt
Shaver, but I can't let that go by. It is NOT the least bit shaky here
Matt, I have a larger 5 amp psu, which is also running 360 GB worth of
SSD's on usb3 adaptors, and a 7i90HD i/o board + 3 7i42TA's and a small
350 WA UPS on mine, and the only reason it gets rebooted is if a library
it needs gets updated.

Uptime is 2 days ATM, but was north of 2 months when I rebooted it to
replace a json library on Thursday evening. I can't recall the last time
I had an actual crash, its that rare. I don't use that ultra puny wall
wart psu supplied, its well known to not be big enough as also is the
OTG port it plugs into. I am feeding it directly on the 40 pin header. I
also have 4 teeny heat sinks stuck on it, cooled by an ex-video card
ball bearing fan. A 12 volt fan running on 5 volts.  And its building
LinuxCNC from github about 5 to 7 times a week as commits are being
made. A full build is getting close to 2 hours as docs are being added.

Here, with a decent supply and a small bit of cooling, it Just Works.

Thanks,
Matt

Thats my experience also, I have > 6 months uptime on my 4G RPI4 running linuxCNC+Axis over SPI on a 7C80. This is with a simple stick-on heatsink
It has never crashed or reported a latency error (1 KHz servo thread)

(\__/)