On Sunday 17 January 2021 22:44:36 Matt Shaver wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 14:08:05 -0500
>
> Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> > On Sunday 17 January 2021 12:06:42 Matt Shaver wrote:

> > > Does it work for the 3B+? If so, maybe just add a note to the docs
> > > that this is the hardware you have to use. In my own experience
> > > the Pi3 works well, the Pi4 seems kind of shaky...
> >
> > I don't want to be seen as starting an argument with the legendary
> > Matt Shaver, but I can't let that go by. It is NOT the least bit
> > shaky here Matt,
>
> I have some Pi3s and I bought a 4 when it came out. I used the
> "official" supply and case.

Taint a big enough supply, and it will over heat and crash with the case
on it.

> My biggest problem was that I couldn't get
> the display sized right to fit the TVs I was using as monitors with
> the Pi4, whereas the Pi3 "just worked". I put it aside and haven't had
> a chance to try again.

I have a 1920x display on the pi4's mini hdmi output, beautiful pix.

> In any case, I had read Gene's description of his setup and also Ralph
> Stirling's posts about his setup, and I thought, "Hey! I might like to
> have something like that!" And then I read that they would drop
> support for the Pi, so I was just trying to save the Pi option. I'd
> love for it to work with a Pi4, but a Pi3 would be OK too if that's
> what's possible,

Unless the guys go out of their way to  muck with the armhf build, the
pi4b and kernel I'm running will still be running master when I fall
over.  At 86, that is a possibility, but they took a loooong look at my
ticker Tuesday and sent me home with a small change in the pills, and
intructions to come back for another look after I've replaced this
calendar with the next one.  So as long as my wet ram is working, you'll
see me asking dumb questions for a while yet.

> I don't NEED any of this, I just like the [PI]-->>i2c-->>[Mesa] idea!
> Anyway, don't let my random comments interfere with progress! ;)

[PI]-->>i2c-->>[Mesa]? i2c? i2c is too slow. With rpspi, change that to
[PI]-->>spi-->>[Mesa 7i90] and it Just works.  But the pi's all need a
solid 5 volts applied to the correct header pins, too much loss feeding
it thru the otg port.  That and a small bit of forced air cooling with
those stick on heat sinks, and its dead solid.
> Thanks,
> Matt

Take care and stay well Matt.

Cheers, Gene Heskett