On 05/01/2021 06:24 AM, andy pugh wrote:
On Sat, 1 May 2021 at 03:53, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:

Most of the work in Machinekit was to install Robert
Ellenberg's trajectory planner and then remove as much NML
as possible to make parts of LinuxCNC work across the net.
The big problem with NML is it uses a shared memory region
I don't think that NML is meant to be limited to that, in fact as far
as I know it was specifically intended for distributed,
cross-platform, communication.

https://www.nist.gov/el/intelligent-systems-division-73500/networked-control-systems-group/nml-programmers-guide-c

Yes, and at one time (EMC1), this actually worked pretty well. But, since EMC2/LinuxCNC with hal, the shared memory structure has grown like topsy, and it no longer makes sense to send the WHOLE THING every ms to all nodes in the distributed system. Pretty much, NO part of the distributed system needs ALL of the shared memory area, that's one of the big issues the Machinekit developers were trying to address.

None of this really affects 90+ % of the LinuxCNC users, I think Michael Haberler was trying to find something really far out to apply his talents to. Certainly, there are some fairly far out applications such as multiple robots coordinating to manipulate the same object, or in the same space. This might be extending Machinekit into a zone even the major machine tool builders are rarely getting involved in.

Jon