On 27.01.22 20:03, gene heskett wrote:

On Thursday, January 27, 2022 9:54:54 AM EST Steffen Möller wrote:
Fresh start!

Dear Gene,

I would like to catch the problem before you start building and also
exclude the possibility that somehow the code base of yours is affected
by your previous checkout - just because I cannot inspect your machine
from here. Once that was successful, yes, then this can be optimized.

First thing is that the system needs to be truly updated, nothing
half-ish.
Remember Steffen, that this sd card was A, new, and b, written with dd
using 2021-10-30-raspios-bullseye-armhf-full.img,

sd card then put in the pi and booted, after I had fixed the no network
problem by filling in the defaults for a static network by putting my
hosts file over the default, editing /etc/hostname to be the same as the
buster install it would replace, and filling in and uncommenting the
bottom of its /etc/dhcpcd.conf file to match the buster net config.
It was then booted, I assigned the country, keyboard and other first boot
things in raspi-config. rebooted, at which point it ran the update/
upgrade stuff bringing it up to date by upgrading 129 pkgs then.  The apt
update/apt upgrade -y has been done several more times, and just now
replaced 5 python pkgs.

sudo apt dist-upgrade just returned:
=============================
pi@rpi4:/media/pi/workspace $ sudo apt dist-upgrade -y
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
required:
   dctrl-tools dkms libfuse2 libxtables-dev raspberrypi-kernel-headers
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
=============================
So it is, ANAICT, a fully uptodate bullseye install.

In the middle of that, I mounted the drive I had built a 5.16.2-rt19
kernel on and installed that, so a uname -a now returns:
===========================
Linux rpi4 5.16.2-rt19-rt19-v7l+ #3 SMP PREEMPT_RT Tue Jan 25 01:14:16
EST 2022 armv7l GNU/Linux
===========================
Almost as bleeding edge as has been announced on the linux-rt list.
I have since ran the first of my scripts to build master, then scanned
the output for missing dependency's, installing those I spot in the back
trace.

I have not adjusted anything in the config, or debian directories of this
git clone which is of the raspberry/linux. I have been doing this build
since jessie days so I'm not new to this. At one point pi stuff was being
built on an odroid C2 at the buildbot, but crashed several times a week
and has been replaced with an rpi4 I believe, same as this one.

I faintly recall having to do something for buster but at 87 yo I do not
recall what it was I had to do back then. And I have not noted the build
your own recipe in our wiki as having been updated since wheezy, so it
is, shall we say, a bit long in the tooth in 2022. :)

And the next missing dependency is "convert", and its a showstopper for
configure.
I was not aware of "convert". You have done everything just fine.

Please do

sudo apt update
that showed 5 pkgs could be upgraded which I did.
sudo apt -u dist-upgrade
see above
Anything surprising/weird/many packages listed? Then please tell me or
continue with "yes".

Wherever you have the disk space please then do a
I have the space, its a 240gig SSD

git clone https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc.git bullseye-linuxcnc
Will take an hour or more, my net connection is leisurely.
cd new-dir-name

python3 --version # should be more recent than 3.7
pi@rpi4:/media/pi/workspace $ python3 --version
Python 3.9.2

Please ping me again once you got to this stage.
And configure still bails out:
  checking for convert... none
configure: error: no convert, documentation cannot be built

You are two steps ahead :) I presume you ran

debian/configure

but just do it again, please, so I know what was done. The "uspace"
argument is the default, so just run as shown above.

We now have the debian/control file. This debian/control file declares
the packages that are required to run the package, but especially also
the packages that are required to build the package.

Now run

dpkg-buildpackage

and it will check that debian/control file to see if all packages are
indeed installed that need to be installed to build the packages.

When you invoke this now then it will fail (so I hope) because the
package "imagemagick" is missing which then also provides
/usr/bin/convert. There are likely other packages, too, that configure
would identify as missing if it was not already halting after checking
for "convert". So, dpkg-buildpacakge will list all the packages that are
missing. Please install those and then run dpkg-buildpackage again.

LinuxCNC has a bit of a problem with interrupted builds. There is a
chance that dpkg-buildpackage fails because files existing that are not
in the original tarball. But we will get to that - now it is me who is
ahead of himself :)

Best,

Steffen