Well, not to be left out of the fray, I already have started my little
piece of the anarchy. I am down to two marks on the cert. label. I still
pay two agencies, only because I don't want to take on more work than I
already have. I do one test one time and, if needed, pass those results to
the other agency. One day, though, I may just get down to paying one
agency.

We all know that there are many countries that have created requirements
in the past several years. I tried to get marks from several. But when the
local sales force decided that it was just bureaucratic hassles, they
convinced me to wait until it becomes a problem, i.e. products held up at
the border. So, until then, we are at two marks and holding.If some
country wants to add to my load, I will have to have my products
confiscated at the border before I add more.

Sometimes I have had to do a little persuading and educating of management
and customers. I was surprised at how easy it was to show
cost-effectiveness or time-to-market improvements by getting rid of a mark
or two. I also found that if you ask the customer to pay for a mark, as
often as not, they don't want to, especially if the product already has
several. They then find other ways (which I won't go into here) to get the
product to where they want it.

Compliance to me is like government, as little as necessary to get the job
done. I want to, and will, make a safe and quiet product. But I refuse to
pay three, four or more times just to repeat the proof that I make a safe
and quiet product. I will admit that, at times, I have been forced to pay
extra, but it is always done under duress and it is always made clear that
that is the case. (Sometimes corporate decisions are made that we don't
always agree with, but decide to put up with.)

Off the soap box now.

Scott
s_doug...@ecrm.com

p.s.  This is the only time I have ever said that the above is my own
personal opinion and should not reflect on my employer. This is part of
the don't ask, don't tell policy. So please don't tell him I said this.