Cindy,

At 04:10 PM 20/10/1998 -0400, you wrote:
>I have run into an issue with our plug configuration recently in China.
>It seems that China now requires the plug blades to have no holes in
>them.  Referring to the small round opening at the upper area of a US
>plug.  We have been told by our customer that we only need to get a
>letter from the Chinese approval agency that states that we comply with
>all the requirements, except for the blade hole requirement.  With this
>letter they are telling us that they can then ship and sell in China.

I have limited knowledge of the power plug used in China, but, first of
all, the US plug is not acceptable.  The plug used in China resembles the
Australian plug (diagonal blades), but there are some minor dimensional
differences that make the standard Australian plug unacceptable.

I don't know anything about the "hole" being, or being not, acceptable.
But it is my understanding that China requires a power plug that has been
certified to their own standard, and that bears  the "Great Wall" Mark.

Regards,

Egon Varju

Ed,
>Sorry, Cindy, I'm of no help on your question. But, can anyone tell me
just what
>those little circular holes in the High and Neutral plug blades are
supposed to do?

Ventilation?

Egon :-)

 Egon H. Varju, P.Eng.
 CSA Pacific Region
 Tel:   1-604-244-6640       HAVE MODEM  -  WILL TRAVEL
 Fax:   1-604-244-6600
 E-mail:        eva...@csi.com
                var...@csa.ca
                e...@varju.bc.ca