Hello all,

Yes, the holes are for retention, and UL498 specifies the holes must be
chamfered to prevent them from cutting off the mating bumps in the outlet.
The holes are optional, but plugs have to pass retention tests either way.

Mike Harris/Teccom Co. (Product Safety Consulting)
707-258-1360/fax 1361

----------
> From: Patrick Lawler <plaw...@west.net>
> To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
> Subject: Re: Plugs for China
> Date: Wednesday, October 21, 1998 11:00 AM
>
> I just looked at a hospital-grade cord, and it had solid, nickel-plated
blades
> _with_ a hole.
>
> Is the hole related to plug retention in the outlet?  I thought I
remembered
> seeing small bumps on the mating blades inside the wall outlet.
>

> On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 08:15:52 -0800, ed.pr...@cubic.com wrote:
> >------------------------
> >  From: ed.pr...@cubic.com
> >  Subject: Re: Plugs for China
> >  Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 16:06:42 -0800
> >  To: EMC-PSTC <emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org>, Millsaps Cindy-G14342
<g14...@ga25epd.mot.com>

> >> ------------------------
> >>   From: Millsaps Cindy-G14342 <g14...@ga25epd.mot.com>
> >>   Subject: Plugs for China
> >>   Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 16:10:33 -0400
> >>   To: "'emc-p...@ieee.org'" <emc-p...@ieee.org>

them.  Referring to the small round opening at the upper area of a US plug.

> >> Sorry, Cindy, I'm of no help on your question. But, can anyone tell me
just what those little circular holes in the High and Neutral plug blades
are supposed to do?

> >And now, another little observation. I looked at some equipment with
Hospital Grade cable plugs. These plugs had solid blades; no holes at all.
And the blades were much more rigid, with slightly larger thickness and
width than a standard plug (subjective, since I didn't have a caliper with
me). I would think that this would create higher contact pressure with the
female socket elements when mated.