In my experience when doing testing of semi-anechoic chambers for NSA
performance using ferrites is a must to avoid measurements being influenced
by the vertical drop portion on both the transmit and receive end. Using a
spacing of about half a foot inbetween individual ferrite beads has worked
best for me. Especially in the lower frequencies, up to about 150MHz, the
effect of the cable drop on vertical pol measurements is considerable
(sometimes more than 1.5 dB). Thus, in all the NSA test specifications I
write, I insist on the use of ferrites.

Of course, not using ferrites on the vertical cable drop allows a chamber
tester to tweak the cables such that at a specific problem frequency the
vertical cable drop portion acts as a reflector to reduce or increase the
transmitted/received signal levels somewhat. This may bring a chamber/OATS
in spec which really isn't. Or bring it out if the tester is not aware of
the problem.

For better repeatability and better NSA measurements, ferrites are
required. They do not make the cable totally RF-invisible but do
considerably reduce the influence of the cable on the measurements.

Regards,
-Robert

Robert Bonsen
Principal Consultant
Orion Scientific
email: rbon...@orionscientific.com
phone: (512) 347 7393; FAX: (512) 328 9240