Dear All,
>From a legislative perspective, since the need to have a DoC is to satisfy the
>requirements of European legislation and, let us assume, the European
>authorities only want two things
 i) equipment to meet the legislation
ii) a body to prod should the equipment not meet the above
Then it strikes me that the 'responsible person' must be EU based.

>From a manufacturers perspective then again the 'responsible person' must be
>EU based. Why ?
Well the DoC is really your insurance policy, it's your way of saying we've
conformed with the law in a diligent manner.  Like all insurance policies it
won't stop your house burning down, but if it does you'll be in a position to
rebuild it relatively painlessly.
So let's assume that a problem is found with your product, the authorities will
initially run around looking for someone to sort it out.  If they can't find
anyone based in the EU then what are they going to do?  If they can't get the
problem fixed then they will fix it themselves by banning that product form the
market and destroying all stocks sitting on the unfortunate importers shelves.
So you really do need someone based in the EU armed with a fire hose and a
bucket of sand!

It's just an opinion.

Ian Ball
Dedicated Micros