I think the following is basically right.

One of the fundamental objectives (and requirements) of the original treaty
of Rome, which has been re-inforced since as the treaty has been amended,
is the free movement of goods within the EU and the removal of barriers to
trade.    In recent years, under the terms of the "new approach"
directives, there has been a move towards presumption of conformity for
products placed on sale provided that such products carry the CE mark.

There is European directive numbered 83/189/EEC which addresses procedures
to be followed for introducing new technical requirements.   This directive
is basically targetted at removing the possibility of new barriers to trade
being introduced.

83/189/EEC requires certain procedures to be followed by the European
Commission when it comes to commissioning new technical standards.
 Importantly, it also defines procedures to be followed by each member
state if implementing new or modified technical regulations ( I think this
is the case, it always used to be).  This procedure basically requires
notification through the European Commission of the proposed standard,
regulation, etc.   This notification and draft of the relevant documents is
translated by the EC into the native language of each member state and
distributed for review by relevant authorities in each member state.   In
this way, each member state has the opportunity to review and oppose new
national legislation and standards.

Also, importantly, the issue of European standards under the scope of
product compliance directives have the force of law in that conflicting
national standards must be withdrawn by the final designated date of
withdrawal.

So I think the bottom line is that a EU state can implement a national
regulation relating to product compliance provided that it does not
conflict with existing European legislation and European standards and that
the regulations have passed successfully through the 83/189/EEC procedures.
  This actually is a little bit of a joke as the  documents distributed
under 83/189/EEC have always been circulated to a very small audience and
some quite interesting things have found their way through with no
objections.

I didn't catch the beginning of this thread so I am not sure what the
original problem was reported to be.   However, there is an
anti-competition unit at the EC which monitors this kind of thing that is
usually very interested to hear of problems with respect to barriers to
trade.   Also, I think I am right in saying that each member state has an
anti-competition unit which also makes all the right noises about fighting
the good fight in terms of barriers to trade.

Best regards

Nick Evans
Managing Director
Genesys IBS Ltd
Worldwide IT&T Product Design & Compliance
Tel:    +44 1600 710300
Fax:    +44 1600 710301
Mobile: +44 385 367348  (GSM)
E-mail: nick_evans_gene...@msn.com
(if sending attachments, please copy e-mail to our central e-mail account:
gene...@dial.pipex.com)