Dave,

I see here that we hold a different opinion... My opinion is that when I buy
something I expect it to work. Perhaps with us all using windows this
expectation has slipped a little ( come on LINUX! ). As a consumer, immunity
testing is not a quality issue, it is a must.

I don't hold true to the aspect of EMC being expensive either, my lab ( and I
bet a number of other labs ) charge is well under $1k/day for testing. We can
cover a lot of ground in that time. I don't believe that the bigger, more
expensive labs do a better job either. They have much more over head, which
you end up paying for... Ironically, they have little knowledge about what's
being tested too: I bet a load of things ( which you can be held accountable
for ) get missed.

I believe that the best solution is a smaller lab that serves several
companies, so that they intimately know what's being tested, and in short
order can fully evaluate new designs and/or design changes. This is the way we
operate, and so far, we have impressed our customers and the competent body we
use when called for. Ironically, I've seen companies spend more money trying
to avoid meeting EMC requirements than it would cost to comply.

EMC should be a way of life, if it's designed in ( and by now it should be ),
verification by test is not that expensive....

Derek  Walton.
Owner L F Research