I fully support Lacey's views about performing some immunity testing on the
products, in order to improve their reliability.

Long before FCC/EU implemented EMC requirements on the electronic products,
IBM had formulated emissions and immunity standards for their products.
Even now some of the IBM standards are tougher than the FCC/EU standards,
while a few others do not figure in EU requirements.  The only purpose for
these internal standards is to make sure that customer has no cause for
complaints, even when the equipment is not used as per the manufacturer's
recommendations.  We keep on devising new tests to emulate the working of
our products under severe stress conditions, some of which may be caused by
the poor quality of auxiliary equipment used by our customers.  Again, if
these extra requirements are designed-in, the cost to the company is
extremely low.  All it needs is the awareness in the designers to take
these requirements in to consideration at the early design stage.  Bigger
companies like IBM can afford to have a dedicated person overseeing these
needs, but then they also have lot more products.  Smaller companies can
train there design engineers in EMC practices.  Also, there are inexpensive
tools, which although not perfect, can provide big help in making first
prototype almost right.  All this certainly saves you big bucks at the test
labs, and putting retrofits to mitigate EMC problems, once the product has
been built.

As Lacey has pointed out, we are going to see more susceptibility problems
in household equipment as our home PCs become faster and faster, and
microprocessors are used in increasing numbers of household appliances.

Regards, Ravinder
PCB Development and Design Department
IBM Corporation - Storage Systems Division
Voice :  (408) 256-7956      T/L :  276-7956      Fax :  (408) 256-0550

Email: ajm...@us.ibm.com
Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
.... Mark Twain

"Lacey,Scott" <sla...@foxboro.com> on 03/04/99 05:44:33 AM

Please respond to "Lacey,Scott" <sla...@foxboro.com>