Richard, Mark,

     I have to disagree, the intention of the CE mark is to show
     compliance with European Directives (those applicable), it allows
     free movement of goods across the EU borders. It's intention is
     not to "provide the consumer with information so that they can
     make an informed purchasing decision."

     I would suggest that a product can be designed, manufactured and
     sold within one European Country without having the CE mark
     applied. It may well be within the scope of some European
     Directive, but as long as it does not cross any National Border
     then the CE mark is not required, so long as it meets the local
     regulations.

     Why would Joe Public care if his pc printer had a CE mark as long
     as it gives good quality prints and doesn't interfere with his TV
     set. You're mixing customer needs with regulatory requirements.

     I'd say put the mark on any of the packaging you see fit, as long
     as you can back this up with some rational. If a customs
     inspector isn't satisfied with the markings on the shipping
     container, they'll keep peeling the layers until they find what
     they are after.

     Cheers,

     Colin.