Richard and Rich,

Many persons think of not Listing a product which is powered by a
Class 2 source of supply. I would say this:

1. What is the product? For example: if product is a medical
product, the system must be assessed to the UL2601-1 and CSA
C22.2 601-1 standard; if product has a telecom interface (TNVs)
then system must be assessed to UL1950/CSA C22.2 950 3rd
Edition; if product is audio/video, then system must be assessed
to the applicable audio/video standards (I recently answered a
thread on audio video product standards); if product is used around
swimming pools, it must be assessed to the applicable
US/Canadian Standards depending on the product function.

Generally a Class 2 power supply is good for ITE but is not good
enough for medical or audio/video applications where additional
construction and/or testing is required.

Also, if power supply is Class 2 and supplies an outdoor unit,
unless the outdoor unit meets the required NEMA designation for
enclosures (refer to UL50) and the circuits are not accessible, the
Class 2 output should be below 21.2 V peak to be considered safe
for wet locations.

Based on the above variables, I would strongly suggest you obtain
NRTL Listing for your product. I have a client with a battery
operated product (2 AA alkaline batteries) who obtained Listing on
their portable electronic dictionary; they not only spent money on
the Listing process (which was mostly paperwork) but also on the
flame rated plastics and PWBs and quarterly inspections required
by the NRTL test house and OSHA. Their sales have been
oustanding!

Good luck with the inspectors out there whatever you do. But most
importantly, build your product to meet the applicable
safety/emc/etc. standards to minimize lawsuits.

> I am in basic agreement with Rich. My company makes two types of low voltage
> products. One type is permanently installed and one is movable. We always
> use a certified Class 2 or Limited Power Source. Normally we do not obtain
> certifications for our moveable devices since they are not normally subject
> to inspection by an electrical inspector. However, experience has shown that
> the electrical inspectors do ask a lot of questions about the permanetly
> installed devices, so to prevent the hassle, we do obtain certs on those.
> However, my understanding of the US and Canadian Electrical codes is that
> certification is not required for devices powered by a Class 2 source. I
> once asked the leading manufacture of home intercom/radio equipment is they
> obtain UL Listing and they said they have never obtained Listing for their
> Class 2 powered equipment.
>
>       ----------

PETER S. MERGUERIAN
MANAGING DIRECTOR